We believe justice is integral to healing. We participate in the empowerment of people, understanding their culture and worldview, working together with them to awaken their own potential to improve their quality of life.
MMS are collecting signatures on postcards throughout Lent this year (2020) to help in the fight against trafficking and exploitation in the South Asian seafood industry, which produces many goods sold in the U.S. Visit our Facebook page to learn more.
Peace and Justice Office
Our Peace and Justice Office, directed by Sister Sue Sopczynski, helps to keep us informed of political and governmental actions that impact those with whom we are in mission.
Contact Sr. Sue at SSopczynski@medicalmissionsisters.org
MMS and the United Nations
In 1994 Medical Mission Sisters, at the urging of Associate Jane Blewett, joined the United Nations as a non-governmental agency (NGO). Six years later MMS received consultative status with ECOSOC, the Economic and Social Council branch of the United Nations. This council coordinates the UN’s work in economic, social, educational, health and related fields. We also have accreditation with the UN Framework Convention for Climate Change (UNFCCC), where efforts are being made by many non-profit and civil society organizations to work for sustainable development for all areas of our world.
Our current U.N. representative is Sr. Celine Paramundayil. Contact Sr. Celine at Celine@medicalmissionsisters.org. Visit her Facebook page at Medical Mission Sisters at the UN.
- We join the global effort in striving to meet the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by 2030:
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources
- Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
- Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies
- Revitalize global partnerships for sustainable development